National Service Scheme (NSS)
- National Service Scheme (NSS) is a Central Sector Scheme of Ministry of Youth Affairs & Sports.
- NSS aim is to provide hands on experience to young students in delivering community service.
- An NSS volunteer who takes part in the community service programme would either be a college level or a senior secondary level student.
- The camps are held every year which are attended NSS volunteers with at least 50% of the volunteers being girl students.
- These camps are conducted in Himalayan Region in the North and Arunachal Pradesh in North East region.
- The adventure activities undertaken in these camps includes trekking of mountains, water rafting, Para-sailing and basic skiing.
- Overall Objective is to infuse the sense of love towards the various regions of India
National Youth Festivals (NYFs)
- National Youth Festivals are organized every year from 12th to 16th January by the Ministry of Youth Affairs & Sports in collaboration with the State Governments in different parts of the country.
- This is done in order to:
- Make the volunteers aware of the various festivals celebrated in the country &
- Provide a chance to the NSS volunteers to interact with the resource person/speaker/youth icons
Nehru Yuva Kendras
- Nehru Yuva Kendras were established in the year 1972 with the objective of providing rural youth avenues to take part in the process of nation building as well providing opportunities for the development of their personality and skills.
- In the year 1987-88, Nehru Yuva Kendra Sangathan (NYKS) was set up as an autonomous organization under the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports, to oversee working of these Kendras.
- NYKS is the largest grassroots level youth organization; one of its kind in the world.
- It channelizes the power of youth on the principles of voluntarism, self-help and community participation.
- Over the years, Nehru Yuva Kendra Sangathan has established a network of youth clubs in villages, where Nehru Yuva Kendras have been set up.
- Youth Clubs are village-based organizations working for community development and youth
Objectives of NYKS are two-fold:
- To involve the rural youth in nation building activities.
- To develop such skills and values in them with which they become responsible and productive citizens of a modern, secular and technological nation.