Yellow rust has been detected in wheat crops from 6 districts in sub-mountainous parts of Punjab and neighboring Haryana.
- It is a fungal disease that causes the leaves of the crop to turn yellow.
- It severely inhibits the photosynthesis process which can result in lower yields in the wheat crops.
- Favorable conditions for the fungus:
- Rainfall coupled with an increase in minimum temperature, and humid conditions.
- It can spread quickly if not tackled.
- The respective state governments have issued an advisory to farmers to take remedial measures to contain yellow dust which inter alia includes spray of insecticides.
- Experts have hit the fields to gauge the situation on the ground.
Also read: Rabi Crops MSP To Be Hiked For Next Season