Context: The National Council for Science & Technology Communication (NCSTC), Department of Science & Technology (DST) has released an information brochure for a recently launched programme on health and risk communication ‘Year of Awareness on Science & Health (YASH) with focus on COVID-19’.
About the brochure and programme:
- The brochure carries information on the genesis and need of such a mega programme in the country to address the issues of risks, crises, disasters, and uncertainties especially posed by the COVID-19 pandemic.
- The programme focuses on enhancing public understanding and awareness on science and health for better preparedness to cope up with the present and future challenges.
- The programme, with a focus on COVID-19, is an endeavour to disseminate information about best practices which will be vital to curbing the transmission of the virus and its management.
- It highlights a comprehensive and effective science and health communication effort for
- promoting grass-root level appreciation and response on health and saving and shaping the lives of people at large,
- as well as building confidence, inculcating scientific temper and promoting health consciousness among them.
- The activities are spread over six regions, East, West, North, South, Central and Northeast.
- Special communication modules are developed depending upon especially marked zones, and networking and training of communicators and volunteers for activities related to community health would be an advantage.
- The program highlights the importance of scientific awareness and health preparedness in the current scenario of the pandemic caused by COVID-19.
- This will help to combat the situation with translation and usage of authentic scientific information and to convey the risks involved and facilitate the communities to overcome the situation.
Image Source: technology for you