Why is it in the news?
The first phase of the dedicated freight corridor, the much-awaited project of Indian Railways, is set to be operational.
Dedicated Freight Corridor Corporation of India (DFCCIL)
The DFCCIL is registered as a Company under the Companies Act, 1956, and works under the Ministry of Railways.
- It came into existence in 2006.
- Its mandate is to undertake planning & development, mobilisation of financial resources and construction, maintenance and operation of the Dedicated Freight Corridors.
Western Dedicated Freight Corridor (DFC)
- It starts at Dadri in Uttar Pradesh and reaches till JNPT, Mumbai, which is the largest container port of the country.
- Important places in this route:
- It passes through the states of U.P., Haryana, Rajasthan, Gujarat and Maharashtra.
- The project will be linked to Eastern DFC to form four hubs known as India’s Golden Quadrilateral including Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai and Kolkata.