UPSC Syllabus for IAS exam or Civil Services examination released every year through the Civil Services Exam Notification. It's broadly divided into two parts: UPSC Prelims Syllabus and UPSC Mains Syllabus.
This article gives a wide overview of the Civil Services syllabus with additional links containing in-depth information.
IAS Exam Syllabus
The UPSC divides the Civil Services Exam into three successive stages:
Preliminary Examination (Objective)
Mains Examination (Subjective)
Personality Test (Verbal)
PRELIMINARY EXAMINATION CONSISTS OF 2 PAPERS, BOTH ARE OF OBJECTIVE TYPE
UPSC SYLLABUS FOR PAPER I – (200 MARKS) DURATION: TWO HOURS (COUNTED FOR THE MERIT RANK IN THE PRELIMS)
- Paper I- GS (General Studies) of 200 Marks
- Paper II- CSAT (Civil Services Aptitude Test) of 200 Marks
UPSC SYLLABUS FOR PAPER II- (200 MARKS) DURATION: TWO HOURS (NOT COUNTED FOR THE MERIT RANK IN PRELIMS BUT A QUALIFYING PAPER; JUST NEEDS 33% MARKS)
- Current events of national and international importance.
- History of India and Indian National Movement.
- Indian and World Geography-Physical, Social, Economic Geography of India and the World.
- Indian Polity and Governance – Constitution, Political System, Panchayati Raj, Public Policy, Rights Issues, etc.
- Economic and Social Development Sustainable Development, Poverty, Inclusion, Demographics, Social Sector initiatives, etc.
- General issues on Environmental Ecology, Biodiversity and Climate Change – that do not require subject specialization.
- General Science.
- Interpersonal skills including communication skills.
- Logical reasoning and analytical ability.
- Decision-making and problem-solving.
- General mental ability.
- Basic numeracy (numbers and their relations, orders of magnitude, etc.) (Class X level), Data interpretation (charts, graphs, tables, data sufficiency, etc. – Class X level).
To step on the next stage of the IAS exam after prelims, candidates need to qualify the prelims stage.
Click to access UPSC Prelims 30 Days Quiz
to understand the exam pattern and probable questions.