Context: TRIFED has entered into a partnership with IIT Delhi for the Unnat Bharat Abhiyan (UBA), a flagship national programme of the Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India.
More on the news:
- To cement and formalise this partnership, a tripartite MOU was signed between TRIFED, IIT Delhi (on behalf of the UBA, as the National Coordinating Institute) and Vijnana Bharati (VIBHA, a Swadeshi Science Movement) at IIT, Delhi.
- Tribal entrepreneurs under TRIFED’s Van Dhan programme will now be able to get access to the expertise of the entire network of academic and research institutions under Unnat Bharat Abhiyan (UBA).
- Promote Tribal Livelihoods and Income generation programmes through synergistic collaboration among the concerned Ministries, District Administration, local Panchayat Raj Institutes (PRIs), Voluntary Organisations and other stakeholders.
- In particular, this partnership can help in enhancing livelihoods through the Van Dhan Vikas Kendras established under the Van Dhan Yojana.
- These tribal forest dwellers engaged in Minor Forest Produces will get an exposure to newer processing technologies, product innovation, mentorship, transformational digital systems and handholding.
- Hence, opening gates for the best of brains in the country to attend to the problems of sustainable tribal livelihoods.
- Tech4Seva information ERP portal (CSIR-UBA-VIBHA): Tribal beneficiaries engaged in Van Dhan Yojana will also take advantage of the portal, which is an initiative for Technology Outreach as an Enabler for Inclusive and Sustainable Development to provide sustainable solutions to various issues identified at the grassroots level.
About the Unnat Bharat Abhiyan (UBA):
- It is a flagship national programme of the Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), Government of India launched in 2014.
- IIT Delhi is the National Coordinating Institute on behalf of the UBA.
- Vision: To bring transformational change in rural development processes by leveraging knowledge institutions to help build the architecture of an Inclusive India.
- The Centre for Rural Development Technology (CRDT) as well as the RuTAG (Rural Technology Action Group) of IIT Delhi are fully participating in the Unnat Bharat Abhiyan activities.
- CRDT at IIT Delhi is one of the renowned academic units established in 1979. The centre functions as an outreach centre to address challenges faced by rural communities and to improve their quality of life.
- It has also identified a few rural clusters for direct intervention and is in the process of networking with various participating institutions and voluntary organizations.
- Unnat Bharat Abhiyan 2.0 was launched in April, 2018 and targeted to cover 605 institutions.
- Out of these 313 are technical Institutions and 292 are Non-Technical Institutions.
Pradhan Mantri Van Dhan Yojana (PMVDY)
- Pradhan Mantri Van Dhan Yojana (PMVDY) is a retail marketing led value addition plan for Minor Forest Produce (MFP), meant for forest-based tribes to optimize the tribal income, locally.
- Under the program, MFP-based tribal groups / enterprises of around 300 members are formed for collection, value addition, packaging & marketing of Minor Forest Produces (MFPs).
- These tribal enterprises will be in the form of Van Dhan SHGs which will be a group of 15-20 members and such 15 SHG groups will further be federated into a larger group of Van Dhan Vikas Kendras (VDVKS) of around 300 members.
Support by TRIFED
- TRIFED will support the VDVKs through providing them with model business plans, processing plans & tentative list of equipment for carrying out the value addition work of MFPs. The details would be made available on the TRIFED’s website.
- The Tribal Cooperative Marketing Development Federation of India (TRIFED) came into being in 1987.
- It is a national-level apex organization functioning under the administrative control of the Ministry of Tribal Affairs.
- Socio-economic development of tribal people in the country by way of marketing development of the tribal products such as metal craft, tribal textiles, pottery, tribal paintings and pottery.
- Facilitator and service provider for tribes to sell their product.
Approach of TRIFED
- Empowering tribal people with knowledge, tools and pool of information so that they can undertake their operations in a more systematic and scientific manner.
- Capacity building of the tribal people through sensitization, formation of Self Help Groups (SHGs) and imparting training.