Why is it in the news ?
Hyderabad has now been officially designated as a UNESCO Creative City of Gastronomy.
Along with that Mumbai also has been entered into the global network of creative cities under the film category.
What is UNESCO Creative City Network ?
- It was created in 2004 to promote cooperation with and among cities that have identified creativity as a strategic factor for sustainable urban development.
- The Network covers seven creative fields: Crafts and Folk Arts, Media Arts, Film, Design, Gastronomy, Literature and Music.
Why is Hyderabad put under Gastronomy ?
- Cuisine Tourism- Food is an integral part of the culture in Hyderabad.
- Starting from the Pre-Islamic Kakatiya cuisines (12th century) have interacted in an incredible fashion with the arrival of Turks in the 15th century, followed by Mughal influences in the 17th century.
- The industry employs 12% of the city’s population either directly or indirectly.
Why is Mumbai put under the Film Category?
It has been the hub of cinema from pre-independence till now, starting from movies such as Alam Ara, Raja Harishchnadra.
Previously, 3 Indian cities were recognized as members of UCCN,namely-
- Jaipur- Crafts and Folk Arts(2015)
- Varanasi - Creative city of Music (2015)
- Chennai - Creative city of Music(2017)