The Election Commission of India decided to implement the “Political Parties Registration Tracking Management System” (PPRTMS) through an online portal.
Salient Features of PPRTMS-
- The applicant, who is applying for party registration from 1st January 2020 onwards will be able to track the progress of his / her application and will get status updates through SMS and email.
- The applicant is required to provide contact mobile number and email address of the party/applicant in his application if he/she wishes to track the progress of the application.
The process to Registration of Political Parties-
- Registration of political parties is governed by the provisions of section 29A of the Representation of the People Act, 1951.
- A party seeking registration under the said section with the Commission has to submit an application to the Commission within a period of 30 days following the date of its formation in prescribed format with basic particulars about the party such as name, address, membership details of various units, names of office bearers, etc, as required under subsection (4) of the said section, and such other particulars that the Commission has specified under sub-section (6) of Section 29A of the Representation of the People Act, 1951, as mentioned in the Guidelines for registration.
Significance of PPRTMS-
- It facilitates tracking of the status of the application by applicants.
- An easy to access & navigate the platform for the registration of political parties.
- It helps to reduce the complaint and grievance regarding the registration of political parties.