TOP 50 IMPORTANT TOPICS OF GEOGRAPHY FOR UPSC (PRELIMS + MAINS)
1. Let us start with number of questions being asked from geography every year in UPSC prelims.
YEAR NUMBER OF QUESTIONS ASKED
From this trend we can see that the marks vary from 15-30 marks every year i.e. 15 % of the total marks i.e. 200 marks.
Now we will see about the top 50 topics of Geography and why.
TOP 50 GEOGRAPHY TOPICS
WHY IT IS IMPORTANT?
- Origin and evolution of the earth
UPSC PRELIMS 2017 :
The terms ‘Event Horizon’, ‘Singularity’, `String Theory’ and ‘Standard Model’ are sometimes seen in the news in the context of
(a) Observation and understanding of the Universe
(b) Study of the solar and the lunar eclipses
(c) Placing satellites in the orbit of the Earth
(d) Origin and evolution of living organisms on the Earth
Recent Delhi and other earthquakes
Upsc prelims 2018:
- Continental drift theory
Recently Zealandia continent found which marks the correctness of the drift theory
- Plate tectonics
Mountain building process : HIMALAYAN FORMATION.
- Types of Landforms
- Soil formation
- Solar radiation & Heat budget of the earth
Upsc questions 2013:
- Atmospheric circulation – cyclones, westerlies, jet streams
Recent amphan cyclone
- Evaporation, condensation and precipitation
Thunderstorm and lightning in Bihar and up
- World climate and climate change
- Relief of the oceans
- Temperature and salinity distribution in the ocean.
- Types of ocean current
- Biodiversity and conservation
- Physiography of India – mountains, hills, plateau, plains etc.
- Drainage system of India
- Climate of India – Indian monsoon
- Natural vegetation and soils of India – National parks, biosphere reserves, mangroves etc.
Upsc questions: 2018
- Natural disasters- Floods, droughts, landslide,cyclones,earthquakes
UPSC 2011: (TSUNAMI & MANGROVES)
- Indian agriculture and types
UPSC 2019 –
- Coral reefs
Consider the following statements :
- Most of the world’s coral reefs are in tropical waters.
- More than one-third of the world’s coral reefs are located in the territories of Australia, Indonesia and Philippines.
- Coral reefs host far more number of animal phyla than those hosted by tropical rainforests.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct ?
- 1 and 2 only
- 3 only
- 1 and 3 only
- 1, 2 and 3
The above table consists of core geographical concepts, however there are some related geographical concepts also which we regularly see in current affairs:
WHY IT IS IMPORTANT?
- Indian ocean dipole
With reference to ‘Indian Ocean Dipole (IOD)’ sometimes mentioned in the news while forecasting Indian monsoon, which of the following statements is/are correct?
1. IOD phenomenon is characterised by a difference in sea surface temperature between tropical Western Indian Ocean and tropical Eastern Pacific Ocean.
2. An IOD phenomenon can influence an El Nino’s impact on the monsoon.
Select the correct answer using the code given below:
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 only
(c) Both 1 and 2
(d) Neither 1 nor 2
- Madden Julian oscillations
CURRENT AFFAIRS : As good for Indian monsoon
- Polar vortex
CURRENT AFFAIRS: ozone depletion & ozone hole
- Pacific decadal oscillations
CURRENT AFFAIRS : Affect Indian monsoon
- Heat waves
CRRENT AFFAIRS: criteria and European heat waves
- Sun spot cycles
CURRENT AFFAIRS: effects climate change
- Forest fire
CURRENT AFFAIRS: amazon fire , Australian bush fire
- Tribes of the world and India
- Heat islands
INCREASING AIR POLLUTION IN METRO CITIES
- Seismic noise
- Environmental impact assessment
NEW EIA DRAFT BILL 2020
- Ring of fire
Volcanic eruptions in pacific ocean : Indonesian and Philippines volcanic eruption.
- Wetlands and their conservation
- Distribution of wildlife and their conservation
- Places in news
- Mountain passes and lakes (part of physiography of India)
- Major straits of the world
- Major water bodies – Mediterranean sea, Caspian sea, black sea etc. (part of oceanography)
- Population and related issues
Labour migration, sex ratio and relates schemes
- Minerals and their distribution
- International trade
CURRENT AFFAIRS :Trade deficit of India with china
- Energy resources and crisis
- Industrial setup
Sez, nimz (National Investment Manufacturing Zone), sagarmala
UPSC 2015: (CAN ALSO BE INCLUDED UNDER MINERALS TOPIC)
- Transport and communication
Air India nationalisation (upsc pre),AGR (Adjusted gross revenue of telecom company)
- Water conservation
- Some topics may seems to overlap with Environment and ecology and also with economics and current schemes but it forms and essential part of Geography.
- The human geography deals with population and related issues like migration etc is to be covered. Also there are different government schemes also for solving the population related issues like beti bachao beti padhao abhiyan etc.
- This shows that how geography is related to other subjects like economy, society and even history.
Therefore if you prepare geography very thoroughly it will also help you in the completion of other subjects also.
Some Important Links:
UPSC Prelims 2019 Question Paper pdf Article 300A
Instruments of Capital Market Capital Market Instruments
Parliamentary form of Government in India Explain the Current Trends in Inflation
Classification of Environment First Past the Post System UPSC
Environmental Clearance Process in India How to Read Spectrum Modern History