Context: The 3rd Rashtriya Poshan Maah is being celebrated during the month of September 2020.
- Every year the Poshan Maah is celebrated under POSHAN Abhiyaan (PM’s Overarching Scheme for Holistic Nourishment).
- The objective of the Poshan Maah is to encourage Jan Bhagidaari, in order to create a Jan Andolan, for addressing malnutrition amongst young children, and women and to ensure health and nutrition for everyone.
- Identification of Severely Acute Malnourished (SAM) Children and their management and plantation of Poshan Vaatikas- Nutri gardens, will be undertaken as focus activities during Poshan Maah, along with awareness generation regarding importance of early breast feeding.
- Need for good nutrition during first 1000 days of life, measures for reducing Anaemia in young women and children etc.
Image Source: ToI
About POSHAN Abhiyaan
- POSHAN Abhiyaan is a mission with the vision to ensure attainment of malnutrition free India by 2022 by improving utilization of key Anganwadi Services and improving the quality of Anganwadi Services delivery.
- Ministry of Women and Child Development is the nodal Ministry for POSHAN Abhiyaan.
- It aims to reduce stunting, undernutrition, anemia (among young children, women and adolescent girls) and reduce low birth weight by 2%, 2%, 3% and 2% per annum respectively.
- It aims to reduce stunting among children in the age group 0-6 years from 38.4% to 25% by 2022.
- Under the Abhiyaan, Swasth Bharat Preraks in each district coordinate with district officials for better execution.