Context: Under the directions of the Union Home Minister, a Committee was constituted under the Chairmanship of Dr. Vinod Paul to submit a report on Containment Strategy on COVID-19 for Delhi.
The main points of the Containment Strategy determined by Dr. Paul are as follows:
- Revised demarcation of containment zones and a strict monitoring and control of activities in such containment zones.
- Contact Tracing and Quarantining of Contacts of all infected persons, with the help of Aarogya Setu and Itihas Aap.
- Listing and monitoring of each household even outside containment zones, which will help in getting comprehensive information about Delhi.
- Keep the COVID19 positive cases in hospitals, Covid care centres or home isolation. Proper functioning of Covid care centres and taking the help of voluntary organizations/NGOs in this regard.
- Serological survey to be conducted in all of Delhi from 27.06.2020 to 10.07.2020, in which sample testing will be conducted of 20,000 persons. This will help in comprehensive assessment of the spread of infection in Delhi and will help draw up a comprehensive strategy.
What is a sero survey?
- The survey involves testing of blood serum to detect whether a person is Covid infected and has had any such infections in the past.
- According to health department officials, the sero survey will be conducted in all districts of the state for a test called ‘Covid Kavach Elisa’.
- The test will also identify antibodies being produced in the body to combat Covid-19.
Where has this sero survey been conducted earlier?
- Earlier, the ICMR had conducted a sero survey in 83 districts of the country. The findings revealed that 0.73 per cent of the population in these districts had evidence of past exposure to coronavirus.
- The ICMR then declared that the survey’s findings indicated that containment zones and lockdown regulations had proved successful in keeping the number of cases low and preventing rapid spread of infection.