Context: Amid the COVID-19 outbreak, the National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG) is organising three-day 'Ganga Utsav 2020' on virtual platforms.
About Ganga Utsav 2020:
- It is a cultural and educational festival to celebrate the glory of the holy river Ganga.
- Aim: To connect masses to the cause of river rejuvenation and sensitive them about ecological issues through conversations and entertainment.
- The three-day event of Ganga Utsav activities broadly can be put in 6 broad themes.
- These broad themes are Ganga Dialogue, Story Telling, Cultural Events, Mini Ganga Quest, Ganga Film Festival, and Release of Movies and Publications.
- During the Ganga Utsav, several activities will also be held in Ganga states by the local administration and NGOs, who are associated with Namami Gange Mission.
National Mission for Clean Ganga(NMCG)
NMCG was registered as a society on 12th August 2011 under the Societies Registration Act 1860.
- It acted as an implementation arm of the National Ganga River Basin Authority(NGRBA) which was constituted under the provisions of the Environment (Protection) Act (EPA),1986.
- NGRBA has since been dissolved with effect from the 7th October 2016, consequent to constitution of National Council for Rejuvenation, Protection and Management of River Ganga (referred as National Ganga Council).
Management of NMCG
NMCG has a two tier management structure and comprises the Governing Council and Executive Committee.
The Act envisages five tier structure at national, state and district level to take measures for prevention, control and abatement of environmental pollution in river Ganga and to ensure continuous adequate flow of water so as to rejuvenate the river Ganga as below;
- National Ganga Council under the chairmanship of Prime Minister.
- Empowered Task Force (ETF) on river Ganga under chairmanship of Hon’ble Union Minister of Jal Shakti (Department of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation).
- National Mission for Clean Ganga(NMCG).
- State Ganga Committees and
- District Ganga Committees in every specified district abutting river Ganga and its tributaries in the states.
Image Source: NewsIndia