Under The National Mission on Interdisciplinary Cyber-Physical Systems (NM-ICPS), the Department of Science and Technology (DST) has sanctioned Rs 7.25 crore to the Indian IIT Mandi to establish a Technology Innovation Hub (TIH) at the institute.
The National Mission on Interdisciplinary Cyber-Physical Systems
To be implemented by
Department of Science &Technology at a total outlay of Rs. 3660 crore for a period of five years.
The Mission aims at the establishment of 15 numbers of Technology Innovation Hubs (TIH), six numbers of Application Innovation Hubs (AIH) and four numbers of Technology Translation Research Parks (TTRP).
These Hubs & TTRPs will connect to Academics, Industry, Central Ministries and State Government in developing solutions at reputed academic, R&D and other organizations across the country in a hub and spoke model.
The Hubs & TTRPs have four focused areas along which the Mission implementation would proceed, namely
(i) Technology Development;
(ii) HRD & Skill Development;
(iii) Innovation, Entrepreneurship & Start-ups Ecosystem Development;
(iv) International Collaborations.
NM-ICPS is a Pan India Mission and covers the entire gamut of India that includes Central Ministries, State Governments, Industry and Academia.
The Mission addresses the ever-increasing technological requirements of the society and takes into account the international trends and road maps of leading countries for the next-generation technologies.
The mission implementation would develop and bring:
- Cyber-Physical Systems (CPS) and associated technologies within reach in the country,
- Adoption of CPS technologies to address India specific National / Regional issues,
- Produce Next Generation skilled manpower in CPS,
- Catalyze Translational Research,
- Accelerate entrepreneurship and start-up ecosystem development in CPS,
- Give impetus to advanced research in CPS, Technology development and higher education in Science, Technology and Engineering disciplines, and
- Place India at par with other advanced countries and derive several direct and indirect benefits.
CPS technologies provide a cutting edge to a Nation's scientific, engineering, and technological innovative capabilities; support other missions of the government, provide industrial and economic competitiveness and have truly become a Strategic Resource.
Volume, scale, and complexity of emerging applications demand the continued evolution of new technologies for the foreseeable future.
The proposed Mission would act as an engine of growth that would benefit national initiatives in health, education, energy, environment, agriculture, strategic cum security, and industrial sectors, Industry 4.0, SMART Cities, Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), etc.
The job opportunities will be enhanced through the Mission by imparting advanced skills and generating skilled manpower as per the requirement of the industry/ society.
Accordingly, it is estimated that about 40,000 jobs will be created in the short term and about 2,00,000 in the long term.
Significance of Cyber-Physical System (CPS) technologies:
- CPS and its following associated technologies are playing a transformative role in almost every field of human endeavor almost in all sectors.
- Artificial Intelligence (Al)
- Internet of Things (loT)
- Machine Learning (ML)
- Deep Learning (DP)
- Big Data Analytics
- Quantum Computing
- Quantum Communication
- Quantum encryption (Quantum Key Distribution)
- Data Science & Predictive analytics
- Cyber Security for physical infrastructure and other infrastructure,
- It has become imperative for government and industries to be prepared to adopt these emerging and disruptive technologies in order to remain competitive, drive societal progress, generate employment, foster economic growth and improve the overall quality of life and sustainability of the environment.
Also read: Fuel Cell Technology For Disaster Management