Context: TRIFED under the Ministry of Tribal Affairs will be launching Tech for Tribals initiative for providing skill upgradation and entrepreneurial capacity.
More on the news:
- Under this initiative, TRIFED has tied up reputed national institutions such as IIT, Kanpur for conducting Vandhan-ESDP Training Programs in the States of Chhattisgarh, Kerala, Karnataka, Maharashtra, Odisha, Tamil Nadu and Rajasthan.
- This will help Van Dhan tribal beneficiaries in establishing their sustainable enterprise under the ESDP scheme.
Entrepreneurship and Skill Development Programme (ESDP)
- It is a Ministry of Micro, Small & Medium Enterprises programme to motivate youth representing different sections of the society including SC/ST/Women, differently-abled, Ex-servicemen and BPL persons to consider self employment or entrepreneurship as one of the career options.
- The ultimate objective is to promote new enterprises, capacity building of existing MSMEs and inculcating entrepreneurial culture in the country.
About Tech for Tribals initiative:
- It aims at the holistic development of tribals with a focus on entrepreneurship development, soft skills, IT, and business development through SHGs operating through Van Dhan Kendras (VDVKs).
- It is a unique program to make tribals of India “Aatmanirbhar”, focussing to bridge the gap between tribal entrepreneurs and urban markets.
- The beneficiaries will undergo a 30 days program with a training module developed by IIT, Kanpur.
- The expected outcome shall be successful, aspiring and confident tribal entrepreneurs ready to compete with the best products in the market with feasible business plans.
- This program will mainly entail three aspects of development for sustainable entrepreneurship
- Capacity Building, and
- Market linkages.
- This will lead to the path of commercialization of the tribal entrepreneurs.
Image Source: TH
Tribal Cooperative Marketing Development Federation of India (TRIFED)
- Established in 1987: Under the Multi-State Cooperative Societies Act, 1984 by the Government of India as a National level Cooperative body.
- Under the administrative control: Of the then Ministry of Tribal Affairs, Government of India.
- Mandate: Socio-economic development of tribals, to empower these downtrodden people of the country by institutionalising the trade of Minor Forest Produce (MFP) & Surplus Agricultural Produce (SAP) collected/ cultivated by them.
- TRIFED plays the dual role of both a market developer and a service provider, empowering tribals with knowledge and tools to better their operations in a systematic, scientific manner and also assist them in developing their marketing approach.
- TRIFED is involved actively in capacity building: Of the tribal people through sensitisation and the formation of Self Help Groups (SHGs).
- TRIFED is engaged in training: The tribals in several activities, so that they can effectively carry them out.
- The organisation also assists them: In exploring and creating opportunities to market the developed products in national and international markets on a sustainable basis.
- TRIBES India: Is the brand under which the sourced handcrafted products from the tribal people are sold. There are 120 brick-and-mortar TRIBES India outlets across the country, making it a sustainable and reliable brand.
Pradhan Mantri Van Dhan Yojana (PMVDY)
- Pradhan Mantri Van Dhan Yojana (PMVDY) is a retail marketing led value addition plan for Minor Forest Produce (MFP), meant for forest-based tribes to optimize the tribal income, locally.
- Under the program, MFP-based tribal groups / enterprises of around 300 members are formed for collection, value addition, packaging & marketing of Minor Forest Produces (MFPs).
- These tribal enterprises will be in the form of Van Dhan SHGs which will be a group of 15-20 members and such 15 SHG groups will further be federated into a larger group of Van Dhan Vikas Kendras (VDVKS) of around 300 members.
Supported by TRIFED:
- TRIFED will support the VDVKs through providing them with model business plans, processing plans & tentative list of equipment for carrying out the value addition work of MFPs. The details would be made available on the TRIFED’s website.