In News: A Bollywood film, based on Subedar Tanaji Malusare, a Maratha military leader, was recently Released.
About Tanaji Malusare:
- Tanaji hails from the Malusree clan.
- He is popularly remembered for the Battle of Sinhagad that took place in the year 1670.
- In the battle, Taanaji fought against Udaybhan Rathore, a formidable Rajput warrior, who was put in charge of Fort Kandhana by Jai Singh.
Events leading to Battle of Sinhagad, 1670:
- In 1665, the Treaty of Purandar was signed between Jai Singh and Shivaji.
- The treaty had required the Maratha ruler to give up Kondana fort to the Mughals.
- After it was taken over by the Mughals, the fort was guarded by Rajput, Pathan and Arab troop guards and was said to be impenetrable.
- This deeply disturbed and enraged Shivaji’s mother Rajmata Jijabai.
- Upon knowing this, Shivaji entrusted Tanaji, the only man he could think of capable of reconquering the Kondana fort at any cost.
Outcomes of the battle:
- Even though the attack by Tanaji took the Mughals by surprise, the latter nonetheless outnumbered the Marathas.
- Malusare was gravely wounded in the fight and died.
- Enraged by the death of their general, the Marathas fought under the leadership of his brother, Suryaji Malusare, and eventually vanquished the enemy.
- The fort was renamed as Singhagad (lion’s fort) by Shivaji to honour Tanaji.