Context: Popularly known as Swasth ke Sipahi, the pharmacists of Pradhan Mantri Jan Aushadhi Kendra , are delivering essential services and medicines at doorstep of patients and elderly under Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana (PMBJP) of the Government of India.
More about the news:
- Working as part of Pradhan Mantri Jan Aushadhi Kendras (PMJAK), pharmacists are extending essential services by making available quality generic medicines at affordable prices to the common people at their doorstep to fight Corona pandemic.
- This is supporting the government's initiative of practicing social distancing.
- PMJKs are being run by the Bureau of Pharma PSUs of India(BPPI) under the Department of Pharmaceuticals, Ministry of Chemicals & Fertilizers, Government of India.
- It’s objective is to provide quality and affordable healthcare to anyone in need.
- Presently, more than 6300 PMJAKs are functioning across the nation, covering 726 districts of the country.
- In the lockdown period, Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana (PMBJP) is generating awareness through informational posts on their social media platforms, to help people protect themselves from Coronavirus.
In order to stop the spreading of Coronavirus, the Government of India placed a lockdown of 21 days across the country. In such times, all PMJAKs are playing a key role in ensuring availability of essential medicines and delivering them at their doorstep.
Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana(Ministry of Chemicals & Fertilizers)
- Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana (PMBJP) is a campaign launched by the Department of Pharmaceuticals to provide quality medicines at affordable prices to the masses.
- PMBJP stores have been set up to provide generic drugs, which are available at lesser prices but are equivalent in quality and efficacy as expensive branded drugs.
- It was launched by the Department of Pharmaceuticals in 2008 under the name Jan Aushadhi Campaign.
- Bureau of Pharma PSUs of India (BPPI) is the implementation agency for PMBJP.
BPPI (Bureau of Pharma Public Sector Undertakings of India) has been established under the Department of Pharmaceuticals, Govt. of India, with the support of all the CPSUs for coordinating procurement, supply and marketing of generic drugs through the Jan Aushadhi Stores.
- Vision: To bring down the healthcare budget of every citizen of India through providing Quality generic Medicines at Affordable Prices.
- Create awareness among the public regarding generic medicines.
- Create demand for generic medicines through medical practitioners.
- Create awareness through education and awareness programs that high price need not be synonymous with high quality.
- Provide all the commonly used generic medicines covering all the therapeutic groups.
- Provide all the related health care products too under the scheme.
- Making quality medicines available at affordable prices for all, particularly the poor and disadvantaged, through exclusive outlets "Jan Aushadhi Medical Store", so as to reduce out of pocket expenses in healthcare.
- About Jan Aushadhi Store (JAS)
- JAS has been opened across the country.
- All therapeutic medicines are made available from Jan Aushadhi Stores.
- In addition to medicines and surgical items supplied by BPPI, Jan Aushadhi stores also sell allied medical products commonly sold in chemist shops.
- OTC (Over-the-counter) products can be purchased by any individual without a prescription.
- A prescription from a registered medical practitioner is necessary for the purchase of scheduled drugs.
- The quality, safety and efficacy of medicines are ensured by getting each batch of medicines procured tested from NABL approved laboratories and conforming to the required standards before the same are supplied to Jan Aushadhi Stores from the warehouse of BPPI.
Who can open a Jan Aushadhi store?
- State Governments or any organization / reputed NGOs / Trusts / Private hospitals / Charitable institutions / Doctors / Unemployed pharmacists/ individual entrepreneurs are eligible to apply for new Jan Aushadhi stores.
- The applicants shall have to employ one B Pharma / D Pharma degree holder as Pharmacist in their proposed store.
Image source: PIB