swajal-yojana

Objective of the scheme:

  • The scheme will aim to provide villages with piped water supply powered by solar energy. The scheme will train hundreds of rural technicians for operation and maintenance of Swajal units. 


Need of swajal scheme:

  • ODF SUSTAINABILITY : 90.56% ODF coverage achieved HIGH DISEASE BURDEN 200,000 children die every year due to diarrhoea 
  • BURDEN ON WOMEN: 12% of working hours in a year are spent in collecting water 
  • UN SDG GOAL NO.6:  Equitable access to safe and affordable drinking water.

About the scheme:

  • Challenge mode scheme: Swajal envisages intraState competition. Even a single district out of all aspirational districts can get access to full funds.
  • Eligibility: Village/GP located in any of the safe blocks identified by Central Ground Water Board, with no PWS scheme and ODF.Individual habitations can be taken up with a minimum of 10 households.
  • The schemes are to be completed between six months to one year from the date of submission of resolution by Gram Panchayat.
  • Under it, 90% of the project cost is borne by the Government and remaining 10% cost is contributed by the community.
  • The government has chosen 115 rural districts which will receive rapid transformation to match up to the government's vision of ‘New India’.
  • The selection criteria of these districts are dependent on six socio-economical parameters, according to Niti Aayog. The parameters are health and nutrition, education, financial inclusion and skill development, agriculture and water resources and basic infrastructure.
  • 35 districts that face Left Wing Extremist (LWE) violence and 15 districts from Jammu and Kashmir which experience terrorism are included in this scheme.
  • Mandatory components:
    • Bore/tube well with casing,  Pump with dry run sensor, Pipes  Standposts Recharge structure , Soak pit  Infra for schools and anganwadis , Customer Care Centre .