Context: The Union Minister for Jal Shakti has launched the Swachh Bharat Mission Academy as part of the ongoing week-long behaviour change campaign ‘GandagiMukt Bharat’.
About the SBM Academy:
- The IVR (Interactive Voice Response) based training course: Contains a 60 minutes module spanning various topics under Open Defecation Free Sustainability (ODF-S) as well as Solid and Liquid Waste Management (SLWM), with four audio lessons and a multiple-choice quiz at the end of the chapter.
- To be considered successful, the user must answer at least 50% of the questions correctly.
- A phone-based academy: As of now the content of SBM Academy is in Hindi and the users are expected to dial in to a toll free number (18001800404) and complete listening to the entire content in their mobile phones, free of cost.
- Helps in achieving SBM(Gramin): This IVR based free mobile online learning course on ODF Plus will be crucial in achieving goals underlined in Phase 2 of SBM(G).
- Sustaining behavioural change and capacity building: Of the key stakeholders like Swachhagrahis and other field functionaries such as PRIs members, community-based organizations, NGOs, SHGs and others who are associated with phase 2 of SBM(G). .
- Improve the knowledge: And interpersonal communication skills in order to enhance the quality of interaction with the beneficiaries.
Swachh Bharat Mission (SBM)
- To accelerate the efforts to achieve universal sanitation coverage and to put focus on sanitation, the Swachh Bharat Mission was launched on 2nd October, 2014.
- The Mission Coordinator for SBM: Secretary, Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation (MDWS) with two Sub-Missions -
- The Swachh Bharat Mission (Gramin): Nodal Ministry: MDWS
- The Swachh Bharat Mission (Urban): Nodal Ministry: Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs.
- Together, they aim to achieve Swachh Bharat by 2019, as a fitting tribute to Mahatma Gandhi on his 150th Birth Anniversary.
- The aim of Swachh Bharat Mission (Gramin) is to achieve a clean and Open Defecation Free (ODF) India by 2nd October, 2019.
- Phase II of SBM(G): The Mission is moving towards the next Phase II of SBMG i.e ODF-Plus, launched in 2020 to ensure that the open defecation free behaviours are sustained, no one is left behind, and that solid and liquid waste management (SLWM) facilities are accessible.
Image Source: digitalindia.gov.in