Recently PM has launched the physical distribution of Property Cards under the SVAMITVA Scheme.
About SVAMITVA Scheme :
- SVAMITVA stands for Survey of Villages and Mapping with Improvised Technology in Village Areas.
- Under the scheme, the latest surveying technology such as drones will be used for measuring the inhabited land in villages and rural areas.
- The mapping and survey will be conducted in collaboration with the Survey of India, State Revenue Department and State Panchayati Raj Department under the Ministry of Panchayati Raj.
- The drones will draw the digital map of every property falling in the geographical limit of each Indian village.
- Property Cards will be prepared and given to the respective owners.
Significance of the scheme:
- The scheme paves the way for using the property as a financial asset by villagers for taking loans and other financial benefits.
- Also, this is the first time ever that such a large-scale exercise involving the most modern means of technology is being carried out to benefit millions of rural property owners.
Various benefits :
- The scheme will create records of land ownership in villages and these records will further facilitate tax collection, new building plan and issuance of permits.
- It will enable the government to effectively plan for the infrastructural programs in villages.
- It would help in reducing the disputes over property
- The scheme will help in streamlining planning and revenue collection in rural areas and ensuring clarity on property rights.
The scheme will enable creation of better-quality Gram Panchayat Development Plans (GPDPs), using the maps created under this programme.