In News: One of the largest crafts fair in the world i.e Suraj Kund Mela was organised in the month of February.
About the mela:
- It has been organized since 1987 to showcase the richness and diversity of handicrafts, handlooms and cultural heritage of India.
- The main motto behind this festival is to promote handicrafts, handlooms with the aid of craftsmen invited from all over the country.
- So basically this craft festival is a platform for artists across the globe to showcase their culture and talent.
- It is organized at Surajkund District, Faridabad, Haryana.
- Every year the fair observes more than a million of visitors from all over the world, both national and international.
- The uniqueness of Mela is that one of the Indian states gets the honour to occupy the position of the Theme State each year.
- For the 34th Surajkund International Crafts Mela 2020, the state of Himachal Pradesh has been chosen to be the Theme State.
- Since 2013, the fair has been upgraded to an international level and around 20 countries participate in the fair.
- It is organized by the Surajkund Mela Authority in collaboration with the Union Ministries of Tourism, Textiles, Culture, External Affairs and Department of Tourism, Government of Haryana along with Haryana Tourism Corporation.