Context: Directorate General of Training (DGT), under the aegis of the Ministry of Skill Development & Entrepreneurship (MSDE), in its effort to address the current skills gap in the country has introduced the SkillsBuild Reignite and the SkillsBuild Innovation Camp in collaboration with IBM.
More on the news:
- The SkillsBuild Innovation camp is a 10 week program which supports 100 hours of structured learning to learners who are interested in gaining hands-on project experience and enhance their employability.
- The Skills Build Innovation Camp concludes with a pitch to facilitators, other teams, stakeholders and potential employers or investors.
- According to the India Skill Report (2019), only 45.6% of the youth graduating from educational institutions are employable. This reflects the massive shortage of skilled workforce in the country.
- In November 2019, IBM India, in partnership with DGT and its implementation partners, made the SkillsBuild online learning platform available to Indian students through Bharat Skills of DGT.
- Digital classrooms on this platform are available to students and instructors from the Industrial Training Institutes (ITIs) and technical education ecosystem in India.
- The platform has impacted 14,135 learners who have completed 40,000 courses and 77,000 hours of e-learning.
- SkillsBuild has been rated as India’s Top 10 online learning platform by National Skills Network.
About the initiative:
- The SkillsBuild Reignite tends to provide job seekers and entrepreneurs
- With access to free online coursework and mentoring support designed to help them reinvent their careers and businesses.
- Tap into a host of industry relevant content on topics including Artificial intelligence, Cloud, Data analytics and security to reskill and upskill themselves, at no cost.
- Its special feature is the personalized coaching for entrepreneurs, seeking advice to help establish or restart their small businesses as they begin to focus on recovery to emerge from the COVID 19 pandemic.
- Courses for small business owners include, for example, financial management, business strategy, digital strategy, legal support and more.
- IBM volunteers will serve as mentors to some of the 30,000 SkillsBuild users in 100 communities in at least five major regions worldwide to help reinvigorate local communities.
- The initiative will strengthen the skilling ecosystem and leverage the rise in demand for new-age skills by expanding industry cross-collaboration and creating learning pathways through digital learning platforms.
- The collaboration with IBM will help us address the widening skill gap in the country and create a culture of up-skilling.
- IBM’s SkillsBuild Reignite platform provides the right set of tools, innovative approach and access to mentors for students to thrive in this competitive environment.
Directorate General of Training (DGT)
- DGT under the aegis of the Ministry of Skill Development & Entrepreneurship (MSDE), is responsible for implementing long term institutional training to the nation’s youth through its network of training institutes and infrastructure.
- It plays a key role in the execution of vocational training schemes and in making ‘Digital India’ dream become a reality.
Image Source: PIB