Why is it in the news?
Recently the Ministry of Railways granted in-principle approval for The Silver Line project.
What is the Silver Line Project ?
- The Silver Line Project is a proposal of the Kerala government that involves laying the third and fourth railway lines from Kasaragod in the north to Kochuveli (Thiruvananthapuram) in the south for the movement of semi high-speed trains.
- It will traverse through 11 of the state’s 14 districts, Alappuzha, Wayanad, and Idukki being the exceptions.
- The trains, travelling at 200 km per hour, would bring down the journey’s duration to less than four hours from the 12-14 hours at present.
Semi High-Speed Rail system
- It kicked off in India in 2016.
- Gatiman Express between Delhi to Agra is touted as India’s first semi high-speed train. However, Vande Bharat Express too is hailed as India’s first semi high-speed train.
- Some of the Semi-High Speed Train Corridors in India
- Delhi – Agra
- Chennai – Hyderabad
- Delhi – Chandigarh
- Delhi – Kanpur
- Mumbai – Goa
- Mysore – Chennai
- Nagpur – Bilaspur
- Nagpur – Secunderabad
- Mumbai – Ahmedabad
- Kasaragod – Thiruvananthapuram