Context: Ministry of Minority Affairs implements various programmes/schemes across the country for the welfare and development of the six (6) centrally notified minority communities namely, Buddhists, Christians, Jains, Muslims, Parsis and Sikhs as under:
(1) Pre-Matric Scholarship Scheme, Post-Matric Scholarship Scheme, Merit-cum-Means based Scholarship Scheme
- For educational empowerment of students, through Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT) mode.
(2) Maulana Azad National Fellowship Scheme
- Provides financial assistance to students from notified minority communities, to pursue higher education such as M. Phil and Ph. D.
(3) NayaSavera - Free Coaching and Allied Scheme
- The Scheme aims to provide free coaching to students/candidates belonging to economically weaker sections of minority communities for preparation of entrance examinations of technical/ professional courses and competitive examinations.
(4) Padho Pardesh
- Scheme of interest subsidy to students of economically weaker sections of minority communities on educational loans for overseas higher studies.
(5) Nai Udaan
- Support for students clearing Prelims conducted by Union Public Service Commission (UPSC), State Public Service Commission (SPSC) and Staff Selection Commission (SSC) etc.
(6) Nai Roshni
- Leadership development of women belonging to minority communities.
(7) Seekho Aur Kamao
- Skill development scheme for youth of 14 - 35 years age group and aiming at improving the employability of existing workers, school dropouts etc.
(8) Pradhan Mantri Jan Vikas Karyakram (PMJVK)
- It aims at improving the socio-economic conditions of minorities and providing basic amenities so as to improve their quality of life and reduce imbalances in the identified Minority Concentration Areas.
- It will be implemented as a Centrally Sponsored Scheme.
(9) Jiyo Parsi
- Scheme for containing population decline of Parsis in India.
(10) USTTAD (Upgrading the Skills and Training in Traditional Arts/Crafts for Development)
- Launched in May 2015 aims to preserve rich heritage of traditional skills of indigenous artisans/craftsmen.
- Under this scheme Hunnar Haats are also held all over the country to provide nation-wide marketing platform to Minority artisans & entrepreneurs and to create employment opportunities.
(11) Nai Manzil
- A scheme for formal school education & skilling of school dropouts
(12) Hamari Dharohar
- A scheme to preserve rich heritage of minority communities of India.
(13) Maulana Azad Education Foundation (MAEF) implements education and employment oriented related programmes as follows:
- (a) Begum Hazrat Mahal National Scholarship for Meritorious Girls belonging to the economically weaker sections of Minorities under which scholarship is awarded to minority girl students;
- (b) Gharib Nawaz Employment Scheme started in 2017-18 for providing short term job-oriented skill development training to youth;
- (c) Bridge Course for madarsa students & school dropouts.
(14) Equity to National Minorities Development and Finance Corporation (NMDFC) for providing concessional loans to minorities for self-employment and income generating ventures.
- In addition to the above, the Ministry also implements schemes for strengthening State Waqf Boards and coordinates arrangements for annual Haj pilgrimage.