In News: Rashtriya Ekta Diwas was observed on 31st October across the nation. It marks the occasion of the birth anniversary of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel.
About Rashtriya Ekta Diwas:
- The government, in 2014, decided to observe Sardar Patel Jayanti Day as Ekta Diwas.
- This occasion provides an opportunity to reaffirm the inherent strength and resilience of the nation to withstand the threats to its unity, integrity and security.
About Sardar Vallabhai Patel:
- Sardar Patel is credited with uniting all 562 princely states to build the Republic of India.
- In 1918 he led a massive “No Tax Campaign” that urged the farmers not to pay taxes to the british after the floods in Kheda. His effort to bring together the farmers of his area brought him the title of ‘Sardar’.
- He supported Gandhi’s Noncooperation Movement launched in 1920 and played a pivotal role in its success.
- In 1928 at Bardoli, he helped in striking a deal between the government and farmers’ representatives when the british had confisticated their lands due to non-payment of tax.
- In 1930 he was also imprisoned for participating in the famous salt satyagraha.
- In 1931 he was elected as the President of Indian National Congress in its Karachi session where the party deliberated its future path.
- Primarily two resolutions were adopted , one on fundamental rights and another on national economic program.
- Patel was also compelled to use coercion by launching ‘Operation Polo’ to liberate and integrate Hyderabad after the Nizam of Hyderabad entertained false hopes of either joining Pakistan or remaining independent.
- He was independent India’s 1st Deputy PM and Home Minister who died in 1950.
- He was awarded Bharat Ratna in 1991.