In News: Recently, the Sangeet Natak Akademi has announced multiple awards.
- Fellowship of the Akademi: It is the most prestigious and rare honor, which is restricted to 40 numbers at any given time.
- This year it has been awarded to: Zakir Hussain (Tabla), Sonal Mansingh (Bharatnatyam and odissi), Jatin Goswami (Sattriya) and K.Kalyanasundaram Pillai (Bharatnatyam).
- Sangeet Natak Akademi Awards: forty-four artists from the field of Music, Dance, Theatre, Traditional/ arts forms etc. have been awarded this year.
- Ustad Bismillah Khan Yuva Puraskar: It is conferred upon artists with the objective of identifying and encouraging outstanding young talents in diverse fields of performing arts and giving them national recognition early in their life.
- It is open to all Indian nationals upto 40 years of age.
- It is not given posthumously.
About the Akademi:
- It was the first national academy of arts setup by the Government of India in 1952.
- It is registered as a society under the Societies Registration Act, 1986.
- It functions as the apex body of the performing arts in the country which preserve and promote the vast intangible heritage of India's diverse culture expressed in the forms of music, dance and drama.
- The academy also collaborates with international organisations like UNESCO to save the cultural heritage of the country.