Context: Recently Agappe Chitra Magna, a magnetic nanoparticle-based RNA extraction kit for use during testing for detection of COVID-19 was launched
About the kit:
- The innovative process of conjugating the RNA ( (Ribonucleic Acid) with magnetic nanoparticles and increasing their concentration in one place by applying a magnetic field is a breakthrough that allowed the high sensitivity of RT-LAMP test from SCTIMST.
- It uses an innovative technology for isolating RNA using magnetic nanoparticles to capture the RNA from the patient sample.
- The magnetic nanoparticle beads bind to the viral RNA and, when exposed to a magnetic field, give a highly purified and concentrated RNA.
- As the sensitivity of the detection method is dependent on getting an adequate quantity of viral RNA, this innovation enhances the chances of identifying positive cases.
Development and Approval:
- The RNA extraction kit was developed by Sree Chitra Tirunal Institute for Medical Sciences and Technology (SCTIMST), Trivandrum, an Institute of National Importance of the Department of Science and Technology (DST) along with Agappe Diagnostics Ltd, an in vitro diagnostics manufacturing company based in Cochin.
- This product has been independently validated at National Institute of Virology for Covid19 RNA isolation.
- Central Drugs Standard Control Organisation (CDSCO) has given approval for the commercialization of this kit.
- The commercial launch of the kit is a major step to make India self-reliant in detecting COVID 19 as the import dependence would be reduced.
- This can help increase the rate of testing and bring down its costs, a crucial step for combating the pandemic.
- It can also be an example of rapid commercialization and implementation of a state of the art technology for the world to emulate.
- The development signifies the potential of scientists - industry collaboration as both worked in tandem with a purpose to serve an urgent need.
- Inexpensive, fast, and accurate testing for COVID-19 virus is the cornerstone of containing its spread and providing appropriate help to the infected.
- It will now be available in the market as Agappe Chitra Magna RNA Isolation Kit
- The kit can be used for RNA extraction for RT-LAMP, RT-qPCR, RT-PCR and other isothermal and PCR based protocols for the detection of SARS-COV-2.
- It is one of the major biological macromolecules that is essential for all known forms of life.
- It performs various important biological roles related to protein synthesis such as transcription, decoding, regulation and expression of genes.
RT - LAMP:
- It is a one step nucleic acid amplification method that is used to diagnose infectious disease caused by bacteria or viruses.
- The method has been developed into many commercial kits that can be used for the identification of pathogens.