Why is it in the news ?
The draft report on Pradhan Mantri Mudra Yojana Survey conducted by the Labour Bureau under the Ministry of Labour and Employment has been released.
What are the findings of the Report ?
- Women have edged out men by generating 92 lakh extra jobs (56.3%) of the total 1.12 crore additional employment generated
- But over 90% of these come on account of Shishu loans which have the smallest ticket size of up to Rs 50,000.
- In the Kishor and Tarun loan categories, additional jobs going to women dropped precipitously.
- This trend points to the fact that while female workers tip the scales in terms of overall numbers, their employment is largely restricted to smaller units funded by Shishu loans under the Mudra scheme.
Pradhan Mantri Mudra Yojana
- Pradhan Mantri Mudra Yojana (PMMY) is a flagship scheme of the Government of India to “fund the unfunded” by bringing such enterprises to the formal financial system and extending affordable credit to them.
- It enables a small borrower to borrow from all Public Sector Banks such as PSU Banks, Regional Rural Banks and Cooperative Banks, Private Sector Banks, Foreign Banks, Micro Finance Institutions (MFI) and Non-Banking Finance Companies (NBFC) for loans upto Rs 10 lakhs for non-farm income generating activities.
- Types of loans provided - MUDRA has already created the following three products/schemes – Shishu, Kishor, and Tarun.
- It would be ensured that at least 60% of the credit flows to Shishu Category Units and the balance to Kishor and Tarun categories.