Q.3)The proposal to launch a Hydrogen Energy Mission in 2021-22 will boost India’s goal of “energy diversification”. Critically examine.
Why this question:
Recently, India has proposed the Hydrogen Energy Mission in the Union Budget 2021-22.
Key demand of the Question:
Importance of the Hydrogen Energy Mission and the benefits associated with it.
Critically examine- Look in close detail and establish the key facts and important issues surrounding the topic. Try and offer reasons as to why the facts and issues identified are most important, as well as explain the different ways they could be construed.
Give a brief introduction about hydrogen Energy and its uses.
In the first part, mention the significance of the Hydrogen Energy Mission giving various benefits associated with it – diversification of energy basket, reduction in imports, cleaner fuel and energy, environmental benefits.
In the next part, mention the challenges associated while implementing the mission on grounds of technology, skills, finance required.
Conclude with a way forward
Hydrogen energy involves the use of hydrogen and/or hydrogen-containing compounds to generate energy to be supplied to all practical uses needed with high energy efficiency, overwhelming environmental and social benefits, as well as economic competitiveness. The Union Budget 2021-22 proposes to launch a comprehensive National Hydrogen Energy Mission for 2021-22 for generating hydrogen from green power sources.
Using hydrogen as a source of energy has a series of benefits:
- It is a cleaner source of energy compared to traditional sources.
- It is a renewable source of energy and bountiful in supply.
- It has an abundance of sources for production.
- It will help in reduction of import dependence of India on other countries for traditional sources of energy.
- It will help in diversification of energy sources.
- It is vital for India to meet its Nationally Determined Contributions and ensure regional and national energy security, access and availability.
However, development of hydrogen energy and implementation of the National Hydrogen Energy Mission has a series of challenges like lack of critical technology, adequate financial support, storage complications, etc. Therefore the National Hydrogen Energy Mission requires a series of concerted efforts and commitment by the government.