Q) The recent invitation by the UK to attend the G7 summit for India has a unique position to offer to the world and reiterate its increasing economic and strategic importance. Comment.
Why this Question?
Issue of current importance.
Key demand of the Question
Significance of G7 and the opportunities that the recent invitation by the UK offers for India
Comment- here we have to express our knowledge and understanding of the issue and form an overall opinion thereupon.
Start with an introduction about the G7.
In the first part, mention the significance of G7 and how it has the potential to transform the new world order.
In the next part, mention about the recent invitation by the UK for India to join the summit and the opportunities that it presents and how India can leverage it.
Conclude with a way forward.
The G-7 or ‘Group of Seven’ includes Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, the United Kingdom, and the United States. Initially formed as an effort by the US and its allies to discuss economic issues, it now discusses several challenges such as oil prices and many pressing issues such as financial crises, terrorism, arms control, and drug trafficking.
The UK currently holds the presidency of the G7 and has invited India, along with Australia, Republic of Korea and South Africa, as guest countries for the Summit. The theme for the summit is ‘Build Back Better’ and the UK has outlined four priority areas for its presidency:
- Leading the global recovery from coronavirus while strengthening resilience against future pandemics;
- Promoting future prosperity by championing free and fair trade;
- Tackling climate change and preserving the planet’s biodiversity; and
- Championing shared values and open societies.
What opportunities does the Summit bring for India?
- India has long called for reforming global institutions and groupings to reflect modern-day geopolitical realities.
- Trumps’ offer to expand G7 fitted into New Delhi’s idea of being part of the global high table.
- With an assertive China looming, the US is calling all like-minded countries to partner in dealing with Beijing.
- If Biden and Johnson want to take the leap forward and constitute a global democratic alliance of 10-11 countries, it will be an important signal.
- India is likely to get vaccines from the US — both directly as well as through COVAX. Initial estimates suggest India will get about 2 to 3 million vaccines in the first tranche.
- India can collaborate with G7 and emerge as one of the key players on the healthcare front besides protecting its interests on the borders with strategic defence ties.
India has a unique position to offer to the world and reiterate its increasing economic and strategic importance. The G7 is now at an inflection point, with the US getting back to the mainstream of international relations while the post-Brexit UK is set to play a larger role. There is a growing convergence between India and the West in the wake of challenges from an increasingly bullish China, the urgency of mitigating climate change, and the need for building a post-pandemic international order. There is a need to build a coalition of leading democracies to create a greener and more prosperous future with India being a part of this vision.