Context: The areas under PMJVK have been increased from 90 Districts originally to 308 Districts of the country.
- Pradhan Mantri Jan Vikas Karyakram (PMJVK) of the Ministry of Minority Affairs seeks to provide better socio-economic infrastructure facilities to the minority communities particularly in the field of education, health & skill development.
- It would further lead to lessening of the gap between the national average and the minority communities with regard to backwardness parameters.
- At present 6 (six) communities namely Muslims, Sikhs, Christians, Buddhists, Zoroastrians (Parsis) and Jains have been notified as Minority Communities under Section 2 (c) of the National Commission for Minorities Act, 1992.
- The erstwhile Multi-sectoral Development Programme (MsDP) has been restructured and renamed as Pradhan Mantri Jan Vikas Karyakram for effective implementation since 2018.
- The restructured Programme will be implemented as "Pradhan Mantri Jan Vikas Karyakram (PMJVK)" during the remaining period of 14th Finance Commission i.e. upto 2019-20.
- It will be implemented as a Centrally Sponsored Scheme.
- It aims to address development deficits in the identified minority concentration areas.
- The identification of minority concentration areas (at village, block, town and district headquarter level) has been done on the basis of presence of substantial population of notified Minority Communities based on socio-economic, basic amenities and population data of Census 2011.