Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Jan Aushadhi Pariyojana
It was launched by the Department of Pharmaceuticals in November 2008 under the name Jan Aushadi Campaign.
Making quality medicines available at affordable prices for all, particularly the poor and disadvantaged, through exclusive outlets "Jan Aushadhi Medical Store", so as to reduce out of pocket expenses in healthcare.
Bureau of Pharma PSUs of India (BPPI)
- Create awareness among the public regarding generic medicines.
- Create demand for generic medicines through medical practitioners.
- Create awareness through education and awareness programs that high prices need not be synonymous with high quality.
- Provide all the commonly used generic medicines covering all the therapeutic groups.
- Provide all the related health care products too under the scheme.
Jan Aushadhi Store(JAS)
Who can open Jan Aushadhi Store(JAS)?
- State Governments or any organization / reputed NGOs / Trusts / Private hospitals / Charitable institutions / Doctors / Unemployed pharmacists/ individual entrepreneurs are eligible to apply for new Jan Aushadhi stores.
- In addition to medicines and surgical items supplied by BPPI, Jan Aushadhi stores also sell allied medical products commonly sold in chemist shops so as to improve the viability of running the Jan Aushadhi store.
- To ensure high quality, medicines are procured from WHO Good manufacturing practice (GMP), Current Good Manufacturing Practice and CPSUs manufacturers for supplying to Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Kendras.
- NGOs/agencies/individuals establishing Jan Aushadhi stores in Government hospital premises where space is provided free of cost by Government to operating agency:
- BPPI will provide one-time financial assistance upto Rs. 2.50 lakh
- Jan Aushadhi stores established anywhere else by private entrepreneurs/institutions / NGOs / Trusts / Charitable organizations which are linked with BPPI headquarters through internet:
- Financial support of 2.5 lakhs. This will be given @ 15% of monthly sales subject to a ceiling of Rs 10,000/ per month up to a total limit of 1.5 lakhs.
About Bureau of Pharma PSUs of India (BPPI)
- It has been established under the Department of Pharmaceuticals, Govt. of India, with the support of all the CPSUs for-coordinating procurement, supply and marketing of generic drugs through Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Jan Aushadhi Kendra.
- It is an independent society under Societies Registration Act,1860