Context: Recently, the Union Ministry for Science & Technology has launched a Scheme titled SERB-POWER (Promoting Opportunities for Women in Exploratory Research), designed exclusively for women scientists.
More on the news:
- The Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB) has been contemplating to institute a scheme to mitigate gender disparity in science and engineering research.
- SERB is a Statutory body of the Department of Science and Technology (DST).
- DST had through the Women Fellowship Scheme introduced some significant women empowering policies and supported thousands of women researchers in the past.
About the scheme:
- The scheme will have two components namely - SERB-POWER Fellowship and SERB- POWER Research Grants.
- The salient features of the SERB-POWER Fellowship:
- Target: Women researchers in 35-55 years of age.
- Support: Fellowship of Rs. 15,000/- per month in addition to regular income; Research grant of Rs. 10 lakh per annum; and Overhead of Rs. 90,000/- per annum.
- Duration: Three years, without the possibility of extension and once in a career.
- The salient features of the SERB – POWER Research Grants :
- POWER Grants will empower women researchers by funding them under following two categories:
- Level I - Applicants from IITs, IISERs, IISc, NITs, Central Universities, and National Labs of Central Government Institutions.
- Level II - Applicants from State Universities or Colleges and Private Academic Institutions.
- To mitigate gender disparity in science and engineering research funding in various S&T programs in Indian academic institutions and R&D laboratories
- Integration of the gender dimension in research design has gained considerable attention in the global scenario.
- Enhancement of participation and promotion of women in the research workforce is one of the prime priorities of the scheme.
Image Source: PIB