Context: Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER), MoS PMO, Personnel, Public Grievances, Pensions, Atomic Energy and Space, launched the revamped PM’s Awards for Excellence in Public Administration and the web portal www.pmawards.gov.in.
- The Mantra of “Maximum Governance, Minimum Government” is incomplete without citizen participation and citizen centricity and transparency and accountability are its twin hallmarks.
- India’s governance model has become a Jan Andolan with people responding to the Prime Minister’s call for Jan Bhagidari in major schemes. For example due to a mass movement, India achieved the ODF (Open Defecation Free) status on 2nd October 2019.
- Significant improvements in public service delivery were also witnessed in
- Redressal of Public Grievances
- In implementation of the Aspirational District Program
- The extraordinary work done by District Collectors in fighting the COVID-19 pandemic.
About the scheme:
- The Scheme Prime Minister’s Awards for Excellence in Public Administration 2020, has been revamped to recognize the performance of the District Collectors towards
- Outcome indicators,
- Economic development,
- Peoples’ participation and
- Redressal of public grievances.
- Nominations have been called in four major categories –
- District Performance Indicators Programme,
- Innovation General Category,
- Aspirational Districts Program and
- Namami Gange Program.
- Under the District Performance Indicators Programme, District Collectors would be evaluated on their contribution to
- Inclusive Development through credit flow to priority sector,
- Promoting people's movements - Jan Bhagidari through effective implementation of priority sector schemes of SBM (Gramin) and SBM (Urban) programs,
- Improving service delivery and redressal of Public Grievances.
- The Innovations category of the Scheme has been broad-based to provide separate award categories for innovations at National, State and District level.
- Online applications shall be invited through the portal www.pmawards.gov.in from Districts / Implementing Units / Organizations.
Image Source: JatinVerma