Updated on 1 June, 2019
Prime Minister Narendra Modi has approved changes to the Prime Minister’s Scholarship Scheme forwards of deceased defence personnel under the National Defence Fund More in News
Prime Minister’s Scholarship Scheme
- The scholarship was given to widows and wards of deceased or ex-service personnel of armed and paramilitary forces from the National Defence Fund. Now PM extended its ambit to include wards of state police officials martyred in terror or Maoist attacks.
- The changes come in line with the prime minister's vision for India's safety, security and the well-being of those who protect the nation
- Under the scheme, the rates of scholarship have been increased from Rs 2,000 per month to Rs 2,500 per month for boys and from Rs 2,250 per month to Rs 3,000 per month for girls
National Defence Fund
- The Prime Minister's Scholarship Scheme (PMSS)' is being implemented to encourage technical and post-graduate education for the widows and wards of the deceased/ex-service personnel of armed forces and paramilitary forces and RPF.
- Under the PMSS, every year new scholarships are given to 5,500 wards of armed forces, 2,000 wards of paramilitary forces and for 150 wards of RPF.
- The scholarship scheme is extended to the wards of state police officials who are/were martyred during terror/Naxal attacks. The quota of new scholarships forwards of state police officials will be 500 in a year.
Also read: BIMSTEC Heads Invited to PM’s Swearing-in New Version of Akash Missile Test-Fired Successfully
- The National Defence Fund (NDF) was set up in 1962 to take charge of the voluntary donations in cash and kind received for promotion of the national defence effort and to decide on their utilisation.
- The National Defence Fund is administered by an executive committee that has the Prime Minister as the chairperson and the Defence, Finance and Home Ministers as members.
- The fund is currently being used for the welfare of the members of the armed forces, paramilitary forces, and Railway Protection Force (RPF) and their dependents.