The Union Cabinet has extended the ambit of the Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi (PM-KISAN) to include all eligible farmer families irrespective of the size of land holdings. The revised Scheme is expected to cover around 2 crores more farmers, increasing the coverage of PM-KISAN to around 14.5 crore beneficiaries, with an estimated expenditure by Central Government of Rs. 87,217.50 crores for the year 2019-20. PM-KISAN:
Also read: BIMSTEC Heads Invited to PM’s Swearing-in New Version of Akash Missile Test-Fired Successful. SOURCE
- PM KISAN is a Central Sector scheme with 100% funding from the Government of India.
- The key objective of PM-KISAN is to provide income support of Rs. 6000/- to the small and marginal landholder farmer families with cultivable land holding up to 2 hectares across the country. (This has been expanded)
- The scheme aims to supplement the financial needs of the farmers in procuring various inputs to ensure proper crop health and appropriate yields, commensurate with the anticipated farm income.
- The amount is being released in three 4-monthly instalments of Rs.2000/- each over the year, to be credited into the bank accounts of the beneficiaries held in destination banks through Direct Benefit Transfer mode.
- Responsibility of identifying the landholder farmer family eligible for benefit under the scheme is of the State/UT Government.