Recently, Petroleum & Explosives Safety Organization (PESO) has taken various measures to ensure uninterrupted supply of Oxygen to hospitals and other health care facilities and also to address the problems faced by Petroleum, Explosives, Fireworks, and Industrial Gas Industries due to nationwide lockdown for containment of COVID-19 pandemic.
Measures taken by PESO:
- Instructions have been issued by PESO Hq to all its offices to ensure grant of licences for storage and transport of medical oxygen urgently.
- Advisory has been issued by PESO on 25.03.2020 to Principal Secretaries (Home) of all States, requesting them to allow uninterrupted transportation and manufacturing of medical oxygen and nitrous oxide.
- Validity of licenses for transportation of oxygen and other gases which will expire on 31/03/2020, has been extended up to 30/06/2020.
- Validity of licenses for storage, transportation, sale, use and manufacturing of explosives and fireworks which will expire on 31/03/2020, has been extended up to 30/09/2020.
- Fee for late renewal of licences will also not be charged.
- Cylinders used for storage of compressed oxygen, CNG, LPG and other gases, which are due for statutory hydro testing shall be deemed to be due for testing on 30/06/2020.
- Pressure vessels used for storage and transportation of oxygen, LPG and other gases, which are due for statutory testing for safety relief valves and hydro testing shall be deemed to be due for testing on 30/06/2020.
PESO- Petroleum and Explosives Safety Organisation
- Petroleum And Explosives Safety Organisation (PESO) is a department formed by the Government of India under the Department for the Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade under the Ministry of Commerce and Industry.
- It administers Explosives Act 1884,Explosive Substance Act, Petroleum Act 1934, Inflammable substance Act 1952 and Environment Protection Act 1986 .
- To control import, export, transport, storage and usage of explosive materials,flammable materials, pressure vessels, cryogenic vessels, design and installation of all necessary and relevant infrastructure etc. PESO is a regulatory authority with autonomous status.
- The Department is headed by Chief Controller of Explosives and is headquartered at Nagpur in the State of Maharashtra in India.
- It was established during the British India in 1890s as the Department of Explosives and later expanded to various other activities.