In News: Finance Minister Released commemorative coin on Paramahansa Yogananda to Mark his 125th Birth Anniversary.
About Paramahansa Yogananda:
- He was an Indian monk, yogi and guru born in 1893.
- He introduced millions to the teachings of meditation and Kriya Yoga through his organization Self-realization Fellowship (SRF) / Yogoda Satsanga Society (YSS) of India.
- Often called the "Father of Yoga in the West."
- He settled in America and was hosted in the White House.
- He published his book Autobiography of a Yogi in 1946.
About Kriya Yoga:
- It is the foundation of Yogananda’s teachings.
- Kriya Yoga is union (yoga) with the Infinite through a certain action or rite (kriya).
- The Kriya Yogi mentally directs his life energy to revolve, upward and downward, around the six spinal centers (medullary, cervical, dorsal, lumbar, sacral, and coccygeal plexuses) which correspond to the twelve astral signs of the zodiac, the symbolic Cosmic Man.
- One-half minute of revolution of energy around the sensitive spinal cord of man affects subtle progress in his evolution; that half-minute of Kriya equals one year of natural spiritual unfoldment.