- To conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources for sustainable development.
- To provide the state-of-the art early warning systems setup for oceanic disasters viz., Tsunami, storm surges.
- The scheme encompasses a total of 16 sub-projects addressing ocean development activities such as Services, Technology, Resources, Observations and Science.
- Implementation period: 2017-18 to 2019-20.
- (O-SMART) also provides the necessary scientific and technological background required for implementation of various aspects of Blue Economy.
- The State of Art Early Warning Systems established under the O-SMART Scheme will help in effectively dealing with ocean disasters like Tsunami, storm surges.
- The important deliverables under the scheme are,
- Strengthening of ocean observations, modelling, ocean services for fishermen,
- Setting up marine coastal observatories for tracking marine pollution in 2018,
- Setting up an Ocean Thermal Energy Conversion Plant (OTEC) in Kavaratti in Lakshadweep.
- Setting up of the state-of-the-art Early Warning Systems to deal with ocean disasters like tsunami, storm surges.