The specific project objectives are to :
- Create sustainable community institutions around women Self-Help Groups (SHGs), Youth Groups of men and women (YG) and Community Development Groups (CDG).
- Build capacity of community institutions for self governance, bottom up planning, democratic functioning with transparency and accountability.
- Increase economic and livelihood opportunities by
- Managing natural resources and improving agriculture for food security and income enhancement from farming and allied activities
- Skill development of youth for employability and establishment of self and/or group managed enterprises
- Establishing backward and forward linkages for economic enterprises
- Creating access to finance through linkages with banks and other financial institutions
- Creating critical infrastructures
- Develop partnership of community institutions for natural resource management, microfinance, market linkages, and sectoral economic services.
The project is for a period of five years. It covers two districts each in Mizoram, Nagaland, Sikkim and 5 districts in Tripura. The districts are:
- Mizoram - Aizawl and Lunglei
- Nagaland - Peren and Tuensang
- Sikkim - South Sikkim and West Sikkim
- Tripura - West Tripura,Sepahijala,Khowai, Unakoti and North Tripura
The project will cover nearly 300,000 households in 1645 villages of 62 blocks falling in 11 districts of the 4 states.