Supreme Court guided to make Delhi Prison Rules mandatory for jail authority to inform family ahead of hanging.
- The Supreme Court in its judgment in 2014 (Shatrughan Chauhan vs Union of India ) had specified that all steps for execution of capital punishment, including informing the convict and his/her family members, are required to be taken care of by the State governments/Union Territories concerned in accordance with the jail manual.
Delhi Prison Rules-
- According to the Delhi Prison Rules, 2018, a minimum period of 14 days has been stipulated by the Supreme Court between the receipt of the communication of the rejection of the mercy petition and the scheduled date of execution.
- It enables the prisoner sentenced to death to prepare himself, settle his affairs and meet his family members for one last time.
- It provides prisoners to avail any remaining judicial remedy.
- Constitution provides fundamental rights to every citizen and no one can control these rights.
Source- The Hindu -