- In recent years, the Government has accorded administrative approval and financial sanction for construction of new nuclear power reactors.
- The details of these projects are given below:
Indigenous Pressurized Heavy Water Reactors (PHWRs)
Light Water Reactors (LWRs) to be set up in cooperation with Russian Federation
- Presently, two public sector companies of the Department of Atomic Energy, Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL) and Bharatiya Nabhikiya Vidyut Nigam Limited (BHAVINI) are involved in nuclear power generation.
- There is no proposal under consideration at present to permit non-Government sector in the area of nuclear power generation.
- However, the private sector participates in the nuclear power sector by providing core reactor components, equipment, materials etc.