Setting the goals of enhancing liveability, economic activity and sustainability of the National Capital Region (NCR), the process of preparing a 20-year plan — the NCR Regional Plan 2041 — by September 2021 was kick-started by the government recently.
More about the news
- The National Capital Region Planning Board (NCRPB) is tasked with the task of preparation of this regional plan.
- The regional plan would have to be drafted keeping citizens at the center. Improving the ranking of NCR cities on the ease of living index, boosting economic activity and opportunity, and furthering sustainability, would be the focus of the planning process.
- The population of the NCR, which comprises Delhi, 13 districts of Haryana, nine of Uttar Pradesh and two of Rajasthan, spread over 55,083 sq. km, was expected to increase from six crore now to 11 crores in 2041.
- Population, the NCR would have a population similar to some countries like France and Italy.
The NCR Regional Plan 2021, which was supposed to guide the development of the region from 2001 until 2021, was only notified in 2005.
- Apart from boosting employment overall, there was also a need to integrate rural and urban sections of the NCR.
- The concept of a natural conservation zone that was introduced in the 2021 plan for the first time needed to be made more effective.
National Capital Region Planning Board (NCRPB) was constituted by an Act of Parliament in 1985, as a statutory body under the Ministry of Housing & Urban Affairs, Govt. of India. It is tasked to evolve policies for the control of land-uses and development of infrastructure in the region so as to avoid any haphazard development.