Context: National Water Mission (NWM) of Ministry of Jal Shakti has initiated “Catch the Rain” campaign.
National Water Mission (NWM)
- It is being implemented by the Ministry of Jal Shakti.
Goals of NWM
- Comprehensive water data base in public domain and assessment of impact of climate change on water resources;
- Promotion of citizen and State action for water conservation, augmentation and preservation;
- Focused attention to vulnerable areas including overexploited areas;
- Increasing water use efficiency by 20%;
- Promotion of basin level integrated water resources management.
“Catch the Rain” campaign
- It has been initiated by National Water Mission (NWM).
- It will help in improving soil moisture and rasing ground water table.
- In urban areas it will reduce water gushing onto roads, damaging them and will prevent urban flooding.
Campaign objectives are as under
- To promote creation of Rain Water Harvesting Structures (RWHS) suitable to the climatic conditions and sub-soil strata to store rain water.
- It drives to make water harvesting pits, rooftop RWHS and check dams; removal of encroachments and de-silting of tanks to increase their storage capacity; removal of obstructions in the channels which bring water to them from the catchment areas;
- It includes repairs to traditional water harvesting structures like step-wells and using defunct bore-wells and old wells to put the water back to aquifers etc.
- Some of the activities suggested are to be taken up with peoples’ active participation under this campaign.
- To facilitate these activities, states have been requested to open “Rain Centers” in each district-- in Collectorates/Municipalities or GP offices.
- Under the “Catch The Rain” initiative, all water bodies in the districts are to be enumerated, (checked with revenue records) and encroachments to be removed.
National Water Mission Awards, 2019
- One of the strategies of NWM under Goal IV is to incentivize the organization/ companies through awards for water conservation and efficient use of water.
Hence, the NWM has initiated the ‘National Water Mission Awards’ to recognize excellence in water conservation, efficient water use and sustainable water management practices.