The ₹1,480-crore National Technical Textiles Mission is launched in Budget 2020 to give a boost to technical textiles.
Technical or engineered textiles are defined as products that are used for functional purposes. These textiles have applications in multiple areas of economic activity, such as aerospace, shipping, sports, agriculture, defense, and health care.
Need for the mission:
- Import-intensive: India imports a significant quantity of technical textiles worth USD 16 billion every year.
- To increase productivity across various sectors like agriculture, horticulture and aquaculture fields, better protection of the military, para-military, police and security forces, stronger and sturdier transportation infrastructure for highways, railways, ports and airports and in improving hygiene and healthcare of the general public.
- Growing market size: the current trend of growth and various initiatives of the Government, the domestic market size of technical textiles is expected to cross Rs 2 lakh crores by the year 2020-21.
- Rising sector: Technical textiles hold immense growth opportunities both for the industries.
- Strengthen supply chain: there is a need to create a domestic base for raw material production and to push for the manufacture of high-end technical textile products.
- To boost investments, and increase per capita consumption of technical textiles.
Aim of the mission:
To give thrust to the production of a wide variety of textiles used in a variety of sectors and to position India as a global leader.
About the mission:
- The National Technical Textiles Mission is to be implemented from 2020-2021 to 2023-2024.
- There will be an empowered nodal office that will coordinate all the efforts and make the Mission beneficial to the industry
technical textiles are material and products manufactured primarily for their technical properties and functional requirements rather than for aesthetic characteristics.