Context: Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare today chaired multiple eventsto mark National Organ Donation Day.
Govt initiatives for organ transplant
- National Organ Transplant Programme aims to improve access to the life transforming transplantation for needy citizens of our country by promoting deceased organ donation
- The National Organ & Tissue Transplant Organisation (NOTTO), mandated under the Transplantation of Human Organs (Amendment) Act 2011 to carry out activities for promotion of organ donation from deceased persons, putting systems in place for organ donation and transplantation and training the necessary manpower and personnel.
- The Regional Organ & Tissue Transplant Organisations (ROTTO) works at regional level and the State Organ & Tissue Transplant Organisations (SOTTO) works at state level for setting up network among hospitals and tissue banks for procurement and sharing of organs obtained from the deceased donors and their timely allocation,
- Online pledging facility for organ and tissue donation is available via the NOTTO website which makes it easier for citizens to pledge
- With 12,666 organs transplanted in 2019, India ranked third in the world as per data available on the WHO Global Observatory on Donation and Transplantation (GODT) website.