Context: For every rupee spent by the government on the National Monsoon Mission and High-performance Computing programs of the Ministry of Earth Sciences (MoES), the country would gain economic benefits worth fifty rupees, which is 50 times more benefit on the investment over the next five years period.
More on news:
- The above information has been affirmed by a report by the National Council of Applied Economic Research (NCAER).
- The NCAER report refers to economic benefits accrued after the implementation of the National Monsoon Mission.
- A total of 173 districts from various agro-climatic zones were considered for the study to appropriately represent agro-climatic zones, rain-fed areas, coverage of major crops, and incidence of extreme weather events in the country.
The National Monsoon Mission
- It was launched by the Ministry of Earth Sciences (MoES) in 2012 with an aim to develop a state-of-the-art, dynamic monsoon prediction system for short, medium, and long-range forecasts.
- The Mission with High-performance Computing facilities has helped the country in achieving a paradigm shift in weather and climate modeling for operational weather forecasts.
- The successful development of a Global Ensemble Forecast System for short and medium-range prediction at 12 kilometers was made possible due to the National Monsoon Mission.
‘Gramin Krishi Mausam Sewa (GKMS)’
- India Meteorological Department (IMD) in collaboration with the Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR) provides district-level agro-meteorological advisories to farmers under ‘Gramin Krishi Mausam Sewa (GKMS)’ for all the districts in the country.
- Communication means:These advisories are communicated to farmers via mobile SMS, apps such as Meghdhoot, on IMD website, Kisan Portal, and conventional media such as television, radio, and newspapers.
- Weather advisories impact on livelihoods:
- Farmers use these weather advisories for critical farm operations like management of sowing, changing crop variety, spraying pesticides for disease control and managing irrigation etc.
- Livestock owners reported making decisions about livestock management practices such as vaccinations, modification of sheds and shelters, and fodder practices based on weather parameters issued by IMD.
- Marine fishermen reported using ocean state forecasts and substantially improving their livelihood by reducing their operational cost.
- Agriculture-related womenfolk of the country:
- Women play an important role in various agriculture activities, for example, in the fisheries sector, they support finance, supplies and sourcing, staff management, and marketing.
- They handle the customer base and enhance it, keep track of prices, nets, and other fishing assets by using weather advisories.
- Every woman from a fishing household included in the survey wanted to know the ocean state forecast provided by the Indian National Centre for Ocean Information Services (INCOIS) through messaging services on an everyday basis.
Global Ensemble Forecast System
- The India Meteorological Department (IMD) has launched a new Ensemble Prediction Systems (EPS) to provide probabilistic weather forecasts.
- These new systems, according to IMD, shall improve upon deterministic forecasts that are prone to high margins of error.
- The EPS involves generation of multiple forecasts using slightly varying initial conditions.
- The acquisition of eight petaflops high-power computing systems will help in generating newer forecasts which have a higher resolution of 12 km instead of the 23km resolution that has been in use.
- It refers to a geographical area with similar soil type, rainfall, temperature, and water availability.
- India is divided into 15 major agro-climatic zones.