Aim - to ensure environmental stability and maintenance of ecological balance including atmospheric equilibrium which are vital for sustenance of all life forms, human, animal and plants.
- Maintenance of environmental stability through preservation and, where necessary,restoration of the ecological balance that has been adversely disturbed by serious depletion of the forests of the country.
- Conserving the natural heritage of the country by preserving the remaining natural forests which are habitat to diverse flora and fauna.
- Checking desertification
- Increasing the forest/tree cover in the country through massive afforestation and social forestry programs.
- Meeting the requirements of fuel-wood, fodder, minor forest produce and small timber of the rural and tribal populations.
- Increasing the productivity of forests to meet essential national needs.
- To minimize pressure on existing forests.