The Madhya Pradesh Governor directed the Speaker of the MP Legislative Assembly to convene the session so that legislators could act on the no-confidence motion pending against him.
What Governor said?
- As the action on no-confidence motion against the speaker is the job of the legislature, therefore after convening the session necessary action should be taken on this proposal on priority.
- Until then the Principal Secretary, Vidhan Sabha, will perform daily work on direction of the speaker.
- The Speaker he was expected to work only after studying the legality of every subject based on the Constitution, the Vidhan Sabha rules and morality, until his fate was decided by the Assembly.
Demand for appointing pro-term speaker:
- A day before resignation by the Chief Minister, the opposition party had implored the Governor to use the powers vested in him under the Constitution to appoint a pro-tem Speaker instead to abide by the constitutional values and democratic traditions.
- The opposition party accuses the Speaker of acting in a motivated way.
Also read: Powers And Functions Of Governor