WAWE Summit 2019 Union Human Resource Development Minister Shri Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ launched several initiatives of All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE)
About the Initiatives Margadarshan:
- It includes Facilitation through Margadarshan and Margadarshak, Model Curriculum for Diploma Courses, Waste Management Accelerator for Aspiring Women Entrepreneurs (WAWE Summit 2019) and 360-degree Feedback of Faculty.
- Under this scheme, institutions having good accreditation record / highly performing institutions are supposed to mentor relatively newer 10 - 12 potential institutions.
- Best practices in the teaching-learning process followed in the mentor institute are diffused to mentee institutions.
- These institutions are also provided funding up to 50 lakhs per institution over a period of three years in installments for carrying out various activities like training, workshops, conferences, and travel.
Model Curriculum for Diploma Courses
- Under this scheme, mentor teachers or Margdarshaks who are either serving or superannuated but willing and motivated with good knowledge of accreditation and who can devote adequate time to make required visits to these Institutions are identified.
- These Margdarshaks will regularly visit the mentee institutions, stay on their campus and guide them for their improvement in quality so that institutions are able to get accreditation by the NBA.
- Selection of Mentee Institutes: In the 1st phase, institutes having a student enrolment of 70% or more and willing to get mentoring through AICTE’s Margdarshak, but are not yet accredited are provided Margdarshak. Remaining institutes can be covered in the subsequent phases. The willingness of mentee institutes is taken. However, response giving willingness to be a Mentee institute has been received from 400 institutes only to date.
- Criteria for Margdarshaks include having a Ph.D., belonging from Technical Education domain, having minimum experience of 20 years(not less than 5 in academics), minimum 10 research publications or 5 Ph.D. publications or 2 patents or 2 books written, etc.
- AICTE, fully aware of the fact that diploma education should make students job-ready faster, in consultation with its All India Board of Technician Education (AIBTE), constituted a subject-wise team of 3-4 experts drawn from academia and industry to prepare model curriculum for Diploma Courses in seven disciplines.
- This Model Curriculum has come up after several meetings and thoughtful deliberations of experts.
- It has been prepared while keeping in view the latest industry trends and market requirements.
- Salient features of Model Curriculum for Diploma Courses in Engineering & Technology are as follows:
360-degree Feedback of Faculty - WAWE Summit 2019
- Reduced number of credits.
- Two-week mandatory Induction Program for students has been designed and has to be given at the beginning of the course.
- Introduction of credit course on Sports & Yoga in the first semester to inculcate the habit of physical and mental fitness right at the start.
- Well defined learning objectives & outcomes for each course.
- Inclusion of courses on socially relevant topics. Course on Indian Constitution, Environmental Science & Essence of Indian Knowledge and Tradition have been embedded in the curriculum as an audit course.
- Built-in flexibility to the students in terms of program elective and open elective courses.
- Two mandatory internships to equip the students with practical knowledge and provide them exposure to real-time industrial environments.
- Course on Entrepreneurship and Startups to encourage entrepreneurial skills.
- The weight of theory and practice has been balanced.
- A list of experiments, with the objective clearly spelled out, is specified for each lab course.
- Provision of organizing at least one expert lecture per semester for each branch by inviting resource persons from domain-specific industry.
Wave Summit 2019(Waste Management Accelerators for Aspire Women Entrepreneurs)
- As per the recommendations of AICTE, Ministry of Human Resources Development gave the mandate to the 7th Pay Commission, of understanding certain key aspects of the teacher's activities and its impact as perceived by other key stakeholders of the college education process.
- AICTE 7thPay Regulation defines the process of collecting the 360-degree Feedback Data that will be submitted by the education institutes.
- The process begins by self-reporting of the Teaching Process and other Contributions to the Society by the teachers themselves.
- This will attract a value of 25 and 10 marks respectively. The head of the department where the teacher works would also report the Departmental Activities performed by the teacher that would attract 20 marks.
- The Principal of the institute would further add Institute Activities for 10 marks and the Annual Confidential Report (ACR) for 10 marks for every teacher.
- A very important part of the feedback is added by the students giving objective as well as personal experience by answering 14 questions to be graded on a scale of 1 to 5.
- This feedback will attract 25 points making complete 100 % feedback. (Total = 25 + 10 +20 +10 +10 +25 = 100%).
- The system will further summarize & share the collected data for the Department/Institute/College management for giving increments and promotions for the teachers. Also, AICTE will provide regulatory compliance to ensure transparency and fairness of the process.
Also read: 45th G7 Summit G20 Summit: What are India’s takeaway?
- It will be the largest gathering of young women students to promote entrepreneurship in waste management and providing alternatives to single-use plastic carry bags.
- Indian Institute of Waste Management (IIWM), All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) will be registering the interested participants and guiding them to connect from “Start-Up India to Stand Up India”
- Theme: Make your own bag – empowering women to take up income generation activity and entrepreneurship in waste management through making a business out of this record creating the concept.
- This conclave will be part of a series of activities to encourage entrepreneurship amongst young graduates.