Objective: It envisages a coverage of about 50 lakh enrolments under the Scheme for 2019-20. In order to achieve this, various measures including celebration of Pension Week/ Pension Saptah have been taken.
- National Pension Scheme for Traders, Shopkeepers and Self-Employed Persons (originally proposed name was, Pradhan Mantri Laghu Vyapari Maan-dhan Scheme) has been launched on 12.09.2019.
- It is a voluntary and contributory pension scheme. Enrolment to the Scheme is done through the Common Service Centres, with its network of 3.50 lakh Centres across the country.
- In addition eligible persons can also self-enroll through visiting the portal www.maandhan.in.
- The traders in the age group of 18-40 years with an annual turnover, not exceeding Rs.1.5 crore and who are not a member of EPFO/ESIC/NPS/PM-SYM or an income tax payer, can join the scheme.
- Under the scheme, 50% monthly contribution is payable by the beneficiary and equal matching contribution is paid by the Central Government. Subscribers, after attaining the age of 60 years, are eligible for a monthly minimum assured pension of Rs.3,000/-.